Talked about Nature of Matter today and did class notes.
What is Matter?
– Anything that has mass and occupies space
– Matter can exist in many different states, most common are:
– Solid, Liquid, Gas
– Plasma, Aqueous, Amorphous
(refer to videos)
Changes in Matter
– Matter can undergo many changes
– 3 categories: Physical Change, Chemical Change, Nuclear Change
– change in shape or state of matter
– no new substances
– changing from solid to gas can often be confused as chemical change
– chemicals remain the same
– during melting process, chemicals follow this path:
– Form new substances
– Properties of matter change
– Conductivity, acidity, color, etc
– ex. iron rusting, burning wood, digesting food
Conservation of Matter
– in physical and chemical changes, matter is neither created or destroyed. Ever.
Read pgs 68 -74
Questions #5-6 pg 71 and #1-5 pg 79