Talked about Nature of Matter today and did class notes.
What is Matter?
- Anything that has mass and occupies space
- Matter can exist in many different states, most common are:
- Solid, Liquid, Gas
- Plasma, Aqueous, Amorphous
(refer to videos)
Changes in Matter
- Matter can undergo many changes
- 3 categories: Physical Change, Chemical Change, Nuclear Change
- change in shape or state of matter
- no new substances
- changing from solid to gas can often be confused as chemical change
- chemicals remain the same
- during melting process, chemicals follow this path:
- Form new substances
- Properties of matter change
- Conductivity, acidity, color, etc
- ex. iron rusting, burning wood, digesting food
Conservation of Matter
- in physical and chemical changes, matter is neither created or destroyed. Ever.
Read pgs 68 -74
Questions #5-6 pg 71 and #1-5 pg 79